Student dies in crash

Authors: Vimal Patel

A CSU student died in a crash Friday night when a driver reeking of alcohol sped his pick-up truck through a traffic light and smashed into her car, authorities said.

Adrienne Nicole Morgan, 24, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Morgan, listed as a senior psychology major in CSU’s directory, tried to make a left turn at Larimer County Road 5 when the pickup, headed eastbound on CO 392, rammed the left side of her Hyundai Elantra.

The two surviving passengers in Morgan’s car were identified as Anthony P. Hall, 33, of Fort Collins, and Christopher R. Burr, 35, of Windsor. Both suffered serious injuries, Colorado State Patrol officials said.

Authorities arrested the driver of the pickup, 54-year-old Stephen Grossaint of Fort Collins. On the way to Larimer County Detention Center, he complained of injuries and was taken instead to Poudre Valley Hospital, where he remained as of Sunday, authorities said.

Grossaint could not be reached for comment Sunday evening.

Authorities are still investigating whether speeding was a factor, and said alcohol may have contributed to the collision because an officer smelled it on Grossaint’s breath.

“We determined that Stephen Grossaint was mostly at fault,” said Gilbert Mares, a Colorado State Patrol spokesman. “He struck her left side because he didn’t stop at a traffic light.”

The official cause of death was a torn aorta, said Greg Fairman, deputy coroner investigator.

Morgan’s parents were expected to arrive at Denver International Airport on Sunday afternoon.

Funeral arrangements were unclear as of Sunday afternoon.

“(They’re) pretty distraught,” Fairman said. “Nobody ever wants to get a phone call saying their 24-year-old daughter is dead. It’s the phone call every parent dreads.”

Managing Editor Vimal Patel can be reached at news@collegian.com.