In the article “CSU Muslim: US policy at fault”, CSU Muslim Student Association President Zaki Safar wrongly stated several facts about the Israel-Palestinian conflict. He states “Israel has occupied Palestine since 1967, yet the U.S. is turning a blind eye to that,” when in fact the land belonged to Jordan and Israel attained it through self-defense, resulting in disputed territories rather than an “occupation.” The recent Gaza withdrawal is even more evidence that Israel is trying to make amends with the Palestinian people who do not even want to negotiate and will only be satisfied when “Israel is wiped off the map.”

Those that state Israel wrongly occupies the territories have not read their history. In 1948 the United Nations created a partition plan to divide the land equally between Palestinians and Israelis, which the Israelis agreed to and the Palestinians refused, resulting in Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Iraq attacking Israel, leaving Israel to defend itself. They did defend themselves and in every other example throughout history this has been an acceptable excuse for land ownership.

Safar also stated that last summer the U.S. aided Lebanon with blankets, while they gave Israel bombs. This is a false statement; Israel purchased these weapons from the United States, and did not receive them as a gift. Lebanon harbors terrorists and is the main strongpoint of Hezbollah, the terrorist organization which is believed to have been responsible for the October 23, 1983 bombing of the U.S. Marine headquarters in Beirut, killing 241 American Servicemen. So why would the U.S. support a terrorist nation, when all they have done for us in the past has been harm?

The fact that the suicide bombing of three innocent people in Eilat is what prompted you to express these views disgusts us. One thing we want you to remember from this response is that, if the Arabs put down their weapons today there would be no more violence, but if the Jews put down their weapons today there would be no more Israel.

CHAI (Cultural and Historical Awareness of Israel) Student Organization

Josh Vanderschuere

junior

recreation and tourism

Shirit Stern

sophomore

animal sciences

Suzy Stanley

sophomore

speech communication