Authors: Rebecca Howard

To most people, $22,847 is a lot of money. However, that amount, which happens to be the estimated cost of one year’s out-of-state tuition, fees, room and board at CSU, is what earned the university a spot in the top 100 college “best buys.”

Institutional Research and Evaluation Inc. conducted the national survey to find colleges and universities that provide a quality education for an affordable price.

The survey included 1,204 schools. Colorado Christian University and University of Colorado-Colorado Springs were the only other Colorado schools to make the cut for the top 100.

Freshman psychology major Sarah Hyman was not surprised that CSU made the cut, but she was surprised that other Colorado schools did not.

“I expected maybe (the University of Northern Colorado) to be on there or something,” she said. “That’s pretty cool that we are on the list and our rivals aren’t.”

In order to qualify for the list, schools had to have an entering freshman class with a high school GPA or ACT score above the national average. The national average for a high school GPA is 3.27, while the national average ACT score is 23. The average CSU entering freshman had a 3.5 GPA and an ACT score of 24, according to the fall 2006 institutional profile.

Sophomore mechanical engineering major Brian Lambert said he is confident that he is getting his money’s worth.

“I think I’m getting a good education here,” he said. “You definitely get what you paid for.”

University spokesman Brad Bohlander said this is not the first time CSU has received an award of this sort.

“We constantly rank high in a variety of surveys,” he said. “This is recognition that CSU provides a quality education at a reasonable price.”

Staff writer Rebecca Howard can be reached at news.@collegian.com

BREAKOUT:

Eight departments at CSU ranked among most productive in nation by the Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index

– Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics ranked No. 1

– Department of Biology ranked No. 2

– Department of Atmospheric Sciences ranked No. 3

– Department of Fish, Wildlife and conservation Biology ranked No. 5

– Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition ranked No. 8

– Department of Soil and Crop Sciences ranked No. 9 (Soil Science Category)

– Department of Soil and Crop Sciences ranked No. 10 (Agronomy/Crop Science Category)

– Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering ranked No. 10