We won’t lie.

We had our concerns about the Collegiate Readership Program.

The papers provide seemingly unfair competition for the Collegian. On top of that, the Collegian has never charged students for its services – it’s supported completely through advertising funds.

The readership program, meanwhile, is costing students $25,000 per semester, and only provides a total of 1,000 papers a weekday, so only a small percentage of Rams will be able to take advantage of the program.

But, with caution, we support the new influx of newspapers on campus.

The program will get more papers in more hands, and that can never be a bad thing, even if the motives of the corporation behind the program may be less than altruistic.

And in addition to hooking more people into the news industry, it also gives the Collegian a chance to reaffirm one of its primary purposes: to provide CSU students with local news, analysis and opinion they won’t be able to find anywhere else.

For instance, when the news about Sigma Alpha Epsilon broke, it was Denver’s major media outlets chasing Collegian coverage as our reporters broke story after story about the events that got the fraternity suspended.

And starting this Wednesday, the Collegian will start a three-part investigative series sure to be of interest to all Rams, and you won’t find it anywhere but your campus newspaper.

So go ahead, pick up the New York Times, USA Today and the Denver Post. You’re sure to find quality journalism on world events beyond the scope of the Collegian.

But at the end of the day, if you want local news that affects you and is geared toward the Ram population, no news outlet in the world is going to do that better than your very own Rocky Mountain Collegian.

That’s our promise to you.