Greeks kick off recruitment

Authors: Nikki Cristello

Spring recruitment for Greek Life kicked off Thursday night in the Lory Student Center.

Although officials said the event was successful, Greeks are generally trying to move away from fixed recruitment periods.

“Fraternities are edging away from the single recruitments in the fall and spring semesters,” said Matthew Huntington, a 21-year-old mechanical engineering major and vice president of recruitment for the men’s Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC).

“We are encouraging a 365-day recruitment. We just want guys to be able to come out whenever and be friends with us.”

He estimated about 70 to 100 men will go through the spring rush.

Sororities and fraternities decide whether or not to participate in recruitment during the spring – some don’t because they have enough members.

Fraternities didn’t have a kick-off event, but men interested in joining Greek Life can visit csugreeks.com for more information and even fill out paperwork online.

Sara Litherland, the vice president of recruitment on the Pan-Hellenic Council, said Thursday’s kick-off went better than expected – more than 60 women signed up.

“If you’re interested, I suggest talking with each sorority to find out what Greek Life is,” said Litherland, 20, a sophomore technical journalism major. “That way, you can ask as many questions as you want. No one is obligated to join just by going through recruitment.”

Sonja Jenson, program coordinator for Greek Life, said if people missed Thursday’s kick-off they should stop by the Greek Life office for more information. The Greek Life office is located on the main floor in the Lory Student Center across from the bookstore.

She also reminds anyone who wants to join but doesn’t think now is the right time to consider rushing in the fall.

Anne Farrell, a technical journalism major, former Collegian staffer and president of the Panhellenic Council, said she’s confident about spring recruitment.

“It is the same as fall,” she said, “just more laid back.”

Staff writer Nikki Cristello can be reached at news@collegian.com.