Authors: ELDAD SHARON

The 2007 National Western Stock Show wrapped up this weekend with CSU wrangling in top credits in several competitions.

Students were recognized for breaking developments on the technological front as well.

A team of 12 CSU seniors showed off their internationally praised robot “Good Samaritan,” a cutting edge, robotic search and rescue dog.

“This has been a phenomenal example of undergrads applying systems engineering at a level far exceeding what undergrads at other institutions are achieving,” team co-advisor Carl Kaiser said.

Jan. 15 marked CSU’s Ag-Outreach Appreciation Day at the stock show. The Animal Sciences department named Robert D. Josserand, a 1958 CSU Alumnus, the 2007 Livestock Leader. Josserand, a renowned name in the beef industry, was honored for his hard work and forwarding of the industry.

“When you look back at the people who have been honored you realize that CSU has recognized some great people over the years,” Josserand said. “I felt honored and humbled to be associated with that quality of people.”

Current CSU students also left their brand on the show.

“Teams come from all over the nation, and competition is quite difficult”, said Jason Johnson, a junior animal science major who took first place in Over Beef Judging and Cattle Reasons.

Johnson also took second in Total Reasons and in overall points in the contests, while the CSU livestock judging team took fourth overall.

The main attraction is still the livestock exhibitions, judging, and sales, but the stock show also featured daily pro rodeos. These included barrel racing, bull riding and wrangling, and daily draft horse shows.

The stock show’s long history began in 1899, when live cattle raisers began to meet in Denver’s stockyards. The show became more organized year by year and in 1906, the first official stock show was held for six days. In 1915 the show was canceled due to an outbreak of hoof and mouth disease.

In 1988 the show was expanded to 14 days, and since then the show has roped in hundreds of thousands of guests a year, which Josserand says is a unique quality.

“So many of the stock shows have moved away from their roots,” he said, “but the National Western is still devoted to agriculture and ranching.”

Staff writer Eldad Sharon can be reached at news@collegian.com.