Authors: Jeff Dillon

Before Saturday’s game at San Diego State, freshman guard Ashley McFarland’s career-high scoring mark was seven points.

She more than tripled that on Saturday, but it wasn’t enough to help the embattled CSU women’s basketball team earn a much-needed win.

McFarland scored 24 points while senior center Marilyn Moulton also posted a career-high 18 points, but the Rams fell to the Aztecs 75-66 in San Diego.

CSU (6-12, 1-5) lost their fifth straight, three of which have come following the indefinite suspensions of four players on Jan. 12.

San Diego State (9-7, 2-3) won its second game this season in Mountain West Conference play.

McFarland shot 4-for-4 from the three-point arc and Moulton added eight rebounds in her career day. Junior guard Sara Hunter added nine points and seven rebounds in the loss.

CSU was playing its third consecutive game without leading scorer Kelly Jo Mullaney, who was suspended along with Emily Neal, Raysha Ritter and Brittney Stirling for a “bomb” prank on teammate Kelly Finley.

Guard Kate Eveland led the Aztecs with 18 points. Forward Shannon Clay (12 points, 12 rebounds) and center Desiree Johnson (11 points, 10 rebounds) each added double-doubles in the win.

CSU got off to a hot start following halftime thanks to McFarland, who hit three consecutive three-pointers to cut the Aztecs’ lead to 41-38. The Rams took a 43-42 lead on a Moulton lay-up with just over 16 minutes to play, but it was the last lead they would see.

Eveland helped the Aztecs regain momentum the rest of the way, hitting several key shots to give the Aztecs a lead as big as twelve points down the stretch.

The Rams shot an impressive 66.7 percent from behind the arc, but the Aztecs out-shot the Rams from the field 46.7 percent to 41.8 percent.

CSU had been undefeated (5-0) in games which it scored 60 or more points before Saturday’s defeat.

Border rival Wyoming comes to Moby arena on Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Rams’ next game.

Women’s basketball beat writer Jeff Dillon can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

_________________________________________

MWC Standings: MWC Overall

1. Utah 6-0 13-6

2. BYU 5-0 14-4

3. Wyoming 3-2 13-5

4. TCU 3-2 13-6

5. New Mexico 2-3 12-6

6. SDSU 2-3 9-7

7. UNLV 2-3 8-9

8. CSU 1-5 6-12

9. Air Force 0-6 4-13