Authors: Jen Cintora

Eastman Kodak Co. recently announced the $2.55 billion sale of its health imaging group, which will transfer much of Windsor’s plant to the Onex Corp., a company spokesperson said.

The sale of Health Group Inc., which produces X-ray film, is expected to close within the first half of this year.

Current health business employees will become employees of Onex, Canada’s largest investment group, and will terminate from Kodak, according to Lucille Mantelli, director of communications.

No layoffs are anticipated in the sale, according to Mantelli. The plant is considered to be one of the largest employers in Weld County.

“New strategic directions for the business required substantial investment, which Kodak chose not to fund,” said Chris Veronda, manager of corporate communications.

Once the deal has closed, Kodak looks to focus its operations on consumer and professional imaging and graphic communications, Veronda said.

Kodak currently has 8,100 employees nationwide, including 1,600 at the Windsor plant. Employees under Onex’s new management will continue to work at the plant.

Windsor is not expected to be affected by the transaction, but in 2005 Onex shut down Celestica’s technology plant in Fort Collins, costing about 500 jobs .

“Everything that’s here will remain here and continue to operate here,” Mantelli said.

Kodak’s Health Group is a worldwide leader in medical imaging, with estimated annual revenue of $2.54 billion.

In addition to Windsor, Kodak’s health unit also operates in Rochester, N.Y., Oakdale, Minn., and White City, Ore. International plants are located in China, Mexico and Germany.

Staff writer Jen Cintora can be reached at news@collegian.com.