Authors: Rebecca Howard

While temperatures have reached double digits in Fort Collins, students and staff are still dealing with the flurrying headaches the snowstorms brought last month.

But, for the most part, things are running smoothly on campus.

Kim Norberg, a sophomore business major, said she really did not mind the snow.

“I came back (to CSU) on Saturday and it was fine,” Norberg said. “But I was stupid on (Tuesday). I wore stiletto boots and I was sliding around all over campus.”

According to outdoor services manager Doug Nagel, the fact that the storm came before classes “made all the difference in the world.”

“The campus was pretty much wide open,” Nagel said. “If it would have happened during classes, (snow removal) would have been much more difficult.”

Nagel said they were ready for the multiple snowstorms due to the contracts they set up with outside help for snow removal.

“I think they did a great job cleaning up the campus,” said freshman equine science major Kate Stoffel. “It’s a lot better than that time it snowed around Thanksgiving.”

Brian Chase, director for Facilities Management, said the university had to shell out over $100,000 for contractors, overtime and equipment rental.

“Most students are pleased with how we’ve cleaned up the campus,” Chase said.

While a majority of the job is done, facilities management is still working to clean up campus. According to Chase, they are still working on making it easier to walk around campus and avoid slipping hazards. They also are still transporting snow to Hughes Stadium.

“It’s still a little bit difficult to navigate and walk in certain places,” Nagel said. “Most of the parking is accessible. We are still working on it.”

According to CSUPD public information officer Jackie Swaro, the snow has not caused many problems recently.

“There were no snow-related vehicle accidents reported,” Swaro said.

So far, there has only been one serious pipe leak on campus. A leak in the microbiology lab caused water damage to one classroom, Chase said.

“When you have weather below freezing like this, it is going to cause some problems.”

Staff writer Rebecca Howard can be reached at news@collegian.com.