Authors: Ryan Speaker

One of my biggest complaints since coming to CSU has been the lack of a cohesive, sponsored and well-publicized group for intellectuals. This complaint has always been exacerbated by the university’s outspokenness for athletics, while quietly turning away from academic pursuits.

However, a quiet, off-campus get-together last weekend has temporarily quelled my anger over this.

I was a bit taken aback by the invitation’s title (“Porn and Pizza”), but I knew at least one person attending and was certain nothing terribly unscrupulous would take place. I verified that young women would be there, to ensure order, before confirming my attendance.

Upon arrival, everything was relatively normal. I knew only one of the dozen attendees, but the strangers quickly proved pleasant and inclusive. There was a lot of general conversation, nothing fantastically mind-probing.

It wasn’t until the first pizza came out of the oven that I realized the group likely had intentions of watching some adult entertainment, rather than using it simply as a draw. This realization was quickly affirmed.

I personally derive nothing from pornography and was jokingly chided for having never seen such a film before. I know many people object to pornography, for a variety of reasons, but I do not quite understand it. Our society loves sex; it’s simply a matter of admitting it to ourselves.

Dozens of songs containing sexual themes have been on iTunes’ Top Ten downloaded songs recently. Perhaps my personal favorite would be “Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado and Timberland; the comical lyrics include, “Promiscuous girl/Wherever you are/I’m all alone/And it’s you that I want.” The man simply has to call out, and she responds to his sexual advances – promiscuous indeed.

We love sex so much we’ve ingrained it in our children. In a Dec. 29 editorial in The New York Times, Lawrence Downes was shocked to see sixth, seventh and eighth grade girls performing very sexualized routines at a school talent show. He noted, “I’m sure that many parents see these routines as healthy fun. … Our girls are bratz, not slutz, they would argue, comfortable in the existence of a distinction.”

But, back to the party…

The movie was terrible; the plot was incredibly hard to follow, and the dialogue was poorly written (assuming there even was a script.) But we all had a good time, even the young women present, and passed the time by comparing the film to various pieces of literature.

A portion of the group was unable to stay through the movie, and others left after it was finished. The few of us who remained discussed a myriad of subjects, from foreign films and documentaries to literature.

We discussed the best of television today (we all agreed “House” is top-dog) and lamented the passing of so many good shows due to poor management at the networks. We discussed racism and discrimination, and the seeming lack thereof, in our hometowns, and the nature of political commentators and their commentary and why it’s all so tragically wrong.

I was also glad to encounter young women unafraid to participate in the conversations. It often seems, to me, that young women shy away from deeper conversations; perhaps young men don’t care for smart women. I can’t think of a single more attractive trait, however.

I have longed for something more than CSU’s classrooms can offer since my first class here. I may have finally found it, though mired in the least likely of places. And it is certain to never be sanctioned by the university.

Ryan Speaker is a senior history major. His column appears every Wednesday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.