Eagles fly into midseason

Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

The Colorado Eagles have reached the halfway point of their season and could not have asked for a better start.

Over winter break, the Eagles retained their first-place ranking in the Central Hockey League, setting a league record for consecutive victories with 15 straight wins.

Colorado began the record-breaking streak on Dec. 2, by beating the Lubbock Cotton Kings. They were not beaten again until Friday, when the Memphis River Kings stunned the Eagles, 5-4.

The Eagles smashed the previous league record of 12, which the Eagles shared with four other teams.

During the break, three Eagles players – center Riley Nelson, forward Chris Hartsburg and defensemen Brad Williamson – were named to the CHL All-Star Team.

In addition, Head Coach Chris Stewart was selected as head coach of the All-Star Team. This was Stewart’s third straight selection.

The midseason streak gives Colorado a record of 27-5 with 54 points, the best in the CHL. The Eagles are followed closely by Memphis who is only three points behind.

The Eagles will open a three-game home stand Friday night against the Arizona Sundogs. This will be the fifth meeting between the teams this season with the Eagles taking three of the previous four meetings.

Arizona is in third place in the Southwest Division with a record of 16-15-1. The Sundogs are lead by right wing Brent Kelly who leads the CHL in goals scored with 24.

Eagles beat writer Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.