The Holy Days

In response to Luci Storelli-Castro’s column on Thursday, “Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas,” I would like to voice my agreement on pretty much every point she made.

Overall, the argument is pointless. First and foremost, any child growing up in a religiously unaffiliated house (like I did) probably knows and celebrates Christmas in the way any “sensible” American does.

We get presents, and we have to listen to the same 12 songs on Mom’s Country Christmas tape while we decorate a tree for reasons we don’ t really understand. But we get presents. For those like me, Christmas is no more religious than the Fourth of July.

But on Christmas – yeah you guessed it – we get presents.

More importantly, I would like to talk about this being an argument over semantics. As the column mentioned, when broken down, holiday really means “holy day.”

No matter my own religious beliefs, I can’t help but wonder why the Atheists haven’t joined the legal battle yet. If you remember a few years ago, there was a court ruling about the Pledge of Allegiance that stated the words “under God” is the same as saying “under Allah” or “under no god” and was thus unconstitutional.

But really, isn’t saying happy holidays just a bogus attempt at some sort of middle ground for everyone? If you think about it, the Atheists just kind of get screwed in this whole deal. An Atheist probably isn’t celebrating much of anything this December, certainly nothing that could be considered “holy.”

It is my opinion that people generally don’t care. I know this because of the Pledge of Allegiance. No matter what the ruling says, the line “under God” is still said.

Dillon McDonald

freshman

English