Authors: Amy Robinson

Emergency contraception may not be just a issue for women.

Dennis Hanson, Trevor Schwaab and Levi Miller, along with about 50 others, came to Planned Parenthood to pick up their free packets of EC as part of the third annual Emergency Contraception Day.

“You never know for sure. Life happens. It would suck right now to have kids,” Hanson, a Front Range student, said.

“Kids are expensive,” added Miller.

Hanson and his friends said they have never taken a sex education course, but said they feel sex education is important to people in general.

“(Teaching) abstinence has been shown to not only lower the age of kids having sex, but increase how often they are having sex. It’s ridiculous,” said Schwaab, a sophomore chemistry major at CSU.

Plan B or “the morning-after pill,” as it is commonly known, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration to be made available over the counter to women 18 and older in late August. The drug hit shelves Nov. 17.

It is made from a synthetic hormone similar to what is found in birth control pills, according to Barr Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of Plan B. There are two pills in each package, one that must be taken within three days of intercourse, the other 12 hours later. Plan B will not work if the woman is already pregnant, according to the pharmaceutical company.

Freshman microbiology student Laura Ward was among the participants. The 19-year-old is the secretary of Voices for Planned Parenthood.

Ward said EC could be used as a back-up plan when a condom breaks or for other accidental situations.

“It’s OK to protect yourself and make responsible choices,” she said. “It’s what you should be doing.”

Critics of Plan B say wider availability of the pill, from events like these or the availability of it over the counter, could lead to abuse.

However, some feel having access to it is just another precautionary tool.

“Every woman deserves the chance to avoid unintended pregnancies,” said Daniel Kessler, a spokesman for Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains. “It’s something every woman should have in her medicine cabinet just in case.”

Others simply feel that the atmosphere of college alone is reason to have access to the pill.

“Parents can only keep their kids in a protective bubble for so long. Then they go to college and it’s life on their own,” Schwaab said. “Kids are gonna run the gauntlet, get drunk and have sex.”

Staff writer Amy Robinson can be reached at news@collegian.com.