Authors: Sean Star

Senior offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg and junior punter Jimmy Kaylor were named to the all-Mountain West Conference second team on Tuesday.

It is the first time in the conference’s history there has not been a CSU Ram named to the first-team.

Oldenburg said that the team’s poor performance this season “absolutely” took away from the individual accolade.

“I would trade any amount of personal recognition just to have a winning team,” said Oldenburg.

The senior from Gillette, Wyo., also feels more of his teammates were worthy of all-conference honors.

Clint started all but one game since the start of his sophomore season in 2004 and even played as a reserve tight end his freshman year.

Oldenburg hopes to play in the NFL next fall. If not, he will pursue a career in journalism with hopes to write for a magazine.

The offensive lineman said he developed a special relationship with Head Coach Sonny Lubick over the past five years.

“We have a great relationship, the best one I’ve ever had with a coach. Anything I will go on to do will be a direct result of him.”

Kaylor’s second-team honor followed his first-team performance last year.

The junior from Northglenn booted a career-long 65-yard punt at Nevada earlier this season on his way to finishing second in the MWC in yards per punt with 43.7.

Oldenburg called Kaylor one of the best players on the team and deserving of the award.

“It says something about what kind of player he his if he was named captain for more than just one week,” said Oldenburg.

Thirteen of Kaylor’s 63 punts this season were marked inside the opponent’s 20 yardline, eight resulted in touchbacks and two were blocked.

Ten CSU players received honorable mentions, more than any other team in the conference.

Oldenburg believes the team will likely improve on the one-conference-win season in 2007.

“I think they definitely will be better next year,” he said.

Football beat writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.