Authors: Nick Hubel Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Rams women’s cross country team finished 24th overall at the NCAA Championships last Monday, two spots ahead of their national ranking of 26th. The women scored a total of 475 points.

Junior April Thomas led the team, completing the six-kilometer course in 21:33 on her way to a 42nd overall individual finish. She was the second overall runner for the Mountain West and missed receiving All-American honors by just two spots.

Head Coach Bryan Berryhill said Thomas provided the highlight of the Rams’ day and he is excited to have her returning to the team next year.

“April has been our most steady runner all year,” Berryhill said. “She ran extremely tough today and had a tremendous year for us. I look forward to seeing what she can do in the future for the Rams.”

Senior Nichole Feest finished second for the Rams and 93rd overall, turning in a time of 22:20.3. Senior Danielle Korb finished 145th overall, sophomore Kirsten Anthony took 146th, and sophomore Kristen Hemphill completed the scoring for CSU in 156th place.

Coach Berryhill said that he was pleased with the team’s result and said that the experience will give the team a big step in the right direction for next year.

“Overall, it wasn’t a bad finish, especially since we didn’t even make it last year, but I know we were capable of a better finish,” Berryhill said. “I am proud of the team and know this experience will help them later on.”

Stanford claimed the team championship crown, scoring just 195 points. They were followed closely by Colorado-Boulder in second with 223 points. Sally Kipyego of Texas Tech was the individual champion, finishing with a time of 20:12.

Sports staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.