Authors: NICK HUBEL The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Women’s basketball is set to begin their first road trip of the year this Friday as they travel to California to take on the University of San Francisco Dons.

The Rams (1-0) are coming off a strong performance last Monday when they opened their regular season with an 89-72 win over Missouri-Kansas City.

Freshman guard Kelly Jo Mullaney said that she is excited to leave for her first collegiate road trip, but admits that by the time the plane takes off for San Francisco she may be a little nervous.

“We’re all really excited about it,” Mullaney said. “We’ve just got to go out there and work our hardest and hope we play as well as we did (last game).”

With seven freshmen on the team, Head Coach Jen Warden said she knows some of the players may be a little worried about playing well on the road, but she said that once they get out there they will be able to just play.

“Once we’re on the road we just have to say ‘whatever we forgot, we forgot,'” Warden said. “We’re just there to win a basketball game.”

San Francisco comes into the game having lost their last two: a close loss to Colorado-Boulder and a blowout to Wyoming. Coach Warden said that the team has to come prepared, though, because the Dons run the same offense that Metro State, a team that beat the Rams in the preseason, ran.

“I think that (USF) are very well coached,” Warden said. “That (offense) could give us some trouble.but I think we are ready.”

Overall, Warden said that the team is excited to go and that the trip will be a positive experience for everyone.

“I think this is going to be a great bonding experience for us, being on the road for four days,” Warden said.

After taking on the Dons in San Francisco, the Rams will travel to Stockton, California, to play University of the Pacific on Sunday. The next home action for the Rams will be on Nov. 24 when they play Idaho in the opening round of the Coors Rocky Mountain Invitational.

Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.