Authors: Anne Farrell

I’ve noticed after numerous journeys back and forth from “D-town” to “the Fort” in the past week (equaling more then a few hours of solid radio listening) that I have developed a complete disgust for the lack of variety played on the radio.

About two weeks ago, I heard the song “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol on the radio for the first time. I liked the song, forked out $9.99 for the iTunes CD and programmed it into my random play list on my computer. Since buying the CD, I’ve probably heard Snow Patrol about five times in the last two weeks; enough to stay interested but not overdo it.

On my ride into Denver today, listening to two different radio stations, I heard “Chasing Cars” about 12 times. Twelve times in an hour.

Estimating it to be 3 minutes long the song made up more then 36 minutes of my drive. I might just delete it permanently off my hard drive when I get home.

According to 96.1 KISS FM, “Chasing Cars” is ranked as number five in its playlist, below “Call Me When Your Sober” by Evanescence, “Lips of an Angel” by Hinder, “My Love” by Justin Timberlake and “Showstopper” by Danity Kane.

I can only imagine that these songs made up the majority of my drive but I have at this point begun to block out their monotonous melodies resulting purely from extreme repetition.

Why is it that major radio stations insist upon overplaying decent music to the point where it becomes almost unbearable to listen to? There are more than 500,000 musicians listed on MySpace under the category of rock alone, many of which I assume remain undiscovered by the mainstream music world.

Would it not be possible to play through the top 10 played songs once in an hour time span and give some of these lesser-known artists the opportunity to influence a listener base? There is plenty of music out there; most of us are just not listening to it.

I sincerely believe that overplaying good music limits the shelf life of the performer, because if you listen to the same song over and over again you lose interest even if they have other halfway decent music.

Is there shame in giving the less popular musicians air time, or do listeners flip the channel in hopes to find another station blaring Evanescence?

If anyone out there scans radio channels searching for the same song over and over again, I’m sorry because you possibly lead the most mundane life one could imagine.

Worse than the repetitive music selection is the cheesy advertising. I can understand and respect that someone has to get paid in order for a radio station to work, but seriously, let’s hire some decent underwriters.

RockyMountainCarCredit.com has to be the worst, using such outdated ’90s language as “I didn’t want my momma to think I was dating a wannabe” and then explaining the man in question had his credit ruined by overdue library fines. What world do these people live in?

Most radio stations need to take it up a notch, find some real people to write advertising and spice up the monotony with something new. Personally, I’m going to listen to a CD on the drive home.

Anne Farrell is a junior technical journalism major. Her column appears every Thursday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.