Chopping for charity

Authors: Sara Crocker

Finding the perfect haircut had more to do with length than style Wednesday in the Lory Student Center. Dozens of people said goodbye to their tresses for Locks for Love, a non-profit organization that makes wigs for children who are affected by medical hair loss.

Most women cut between 6 to 15 inches. The average goal of the Panhellenic Council, who organized the event, was 10 inches – enough to make a wig, according to Melanie Huntrods, Panhellenic Council president.

“Immediately last November when we were goal-setting (a philanthropic event) I automatically loved the idea,” the junior technical journalism major said. “Since I heard about this I’ve been growing (my hair) out.”

Huntrods, 20, said the council has been planning the event since January.

Sonja Jensen, the program coordinator for Greek Life, said she was pleased with the event because cancer, one of the reasons why these wigs are made, has such a broad impact.

“Cancer is something that touches probably everybody’s life,” she said, adding she had lost her aunt to breast cancer.

Brei Bunker, 27, of Utah, flew to Colorado to cut her hair with her sister, Jensen.

“I had a friend in high school who had leukemia,” Bunker said. “She does it now that she’s cancer free and I’ve always wanted to do it.”

She ended up losing 8 inches and gasped when she looked in the mirror and saw her the ponytail binding the hair that had just been separated from the rest of her head.

“It was more than I expected, but it’s nice,” Bunker said, adding it was “a little exhilarating.”

News editor Sara Crocker can be reached at news@collegian.com.