Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

Titles, titles, titles. Just when it seemed like that is all CSU club sports are good for, the men’s soccer team now looks to add one more log to the pile.

Capping off an impressive 11-2 season, the next item on the agenda for the men’s soccer team is a trip to Tempe, Ariz., and a shot at the national title.

“We’ve outplayed everybody we’ve faced to this point in the season,” said junior defenseman Nick Ewing. “So I think as a team we’re pretty confident heading down there.”

With the two losses coming in back-to-back games on consecutive weekends at the hands of Colorado-Boulder in the middle of the season, the team had faced a wall, at least momentarily.

“We bounced back well, but we knew we could,” said senior outside midfielder Mitch Peterka. “It stands out for us how well we are as a team both on and off the field.”

The national tournament is set to begin this weekend, and having played their final game on Oct. 29 – a win against Denver – the Rams have had nearly a three-week break between games.

“I don’t think the rest will hurt us, in fact it will probably help us,” Ewing said. “It just gives us time to heal injuries. We had some ankles that needed some attention and healing.”

Despite the two losses to the team from Boulder, CSU did manage to take one of the three match-ups. A 3-1 positive tally back on Sept. 29 was situated in the heart of their seven game win streak to begin the season.

A possible meeting still lies ahead for the two teams if all falls into place, and the Rams are awaiting the opportunity.

“CU is going to be in Tempe and we would absolutely love to play them again,” Ewing said.

For a veteran team with excellent report, they subsequently have very few bumps in the road. But one goal still lies ahead.

“We haven’t had too many surprises this year and we hope to keep it that way,” Peterka said. “If we get one, the national championship would be a good one.”

The CSU women’s soccer team will also be making the trip to the national tournament in Tempe, where they look to take the next step from their second place finish a year ago at the hands of Michigan.

Looking Ahead:

Friday to Sunday: Tempe, Ariz., National Championship Tournament

Sports staff writer Aaron Schoonmaker can be reached at sports@collegian.com.