Authors: Vimal Patel

A CSU faculty member under investigation for alleged financial misconduct has been removed from his post as department head.

The university yanked Jeffrey Wilusz, 47, from his post as chair of the Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology Department on Monday.

Wilusz, who has been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 30, is set to remain a faculty member within the department.

The university also took action against two other department staffers.

Paula Murray, office manager of the microbiology facility, has been placed on administrative leave pending investigation.

Esta Saffer, office manager for the pathology facility, and Janice Riegel, an assistant to Wilusz, have also been on administrative leave since Aug. 30.

On Monday, Riegel, a 20-year CSU employee, was terminated as the department’s financial officer. Saffer remains on administrative leave pending investigation.

“Colorado State University takes seriously its commitment to responsible and accountable fiscal management and to ensuring the best internal controls possible,” Brad Bohlander, a university spokesman, said in a statement. “The university aggressively investigates any concern pointing to mismanagement of funds, and when appropriate, pursues the prosecution and disciplinary action of individuals involved.”

Wilusz, Riegel and Saffer were each charged with one felony count each of forgery in October following a criminal investigation. Wilusz was pinned with an additional misdemeanor count of official misconduct.

The criminal charges and action taken by the university are completely separate, said Linda Miller, Wilusz’s attorney.

“CSU’s decisions are really removed from anything that goes on in the criminal case,” she said.

She declined to discuss details of the case, saying, “It’s a little premature.”

Details of the case remain unclear.

Wilusz is set to make a court appearance Nov. 28.

City editor J. David McSwane contributed to this report.

News managing editor Vimal Patel can be reached at news@collegian.com.