To the Editor:

Collegian’s “Our View” makes me sick

I have decided that civil words don’t really work for you all. You ask for respect from someone, yet you mock them. This paper has consistently angered me and everyone I talk to about it. You are so far liberal that you have no respect for a conservative viewpoint. You preach human dignity yet you can’t show it to anyone with a differing viewpoint. You disgust me. Liberals are idealists, meaning they live off of hopes and dreams. Conservatives are most often realists, meaning they live in reality. We would all like to see everyone go happy and cross borders, no longer be starving but the fact is it doesn’t happen, and it never will.

Another note: An editorial board at most places at least has a few conservative columnists. I don’t even think you have one now. Not very representative of your own school. Grow up, stop being so mocking, show respect and hire some conservatives. You make me sick.

Donald Hackett

senior

political science

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

No mention of veterans

I must say that I’m disappointed in the Collegian. Friday was the day before Veteran’s Day but there was no mention of (much less a “thank you” for) the brave men and women who risked their lives for this country. Even with the election Tuesday, there was no acknowledgement of the soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen that are fighting and have fought bravely for us to have those free elections. Since the Collegian did not say it, I will: Thank you veterans!

Brett Coghlan

freshman

wildlife biology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Wrong approach to story.

You took the wrong approach when it comes to talking about the issue surrounding fake IDs and the problem associated with them. Good idea to display all the important information you need to replicate the Colorado driver’s license. Face it, people are going to replicate licenses, but let them make their own errors and don’t give them an edge. Next week’s column: Meth: A serious problem…and how to make it.

Scott Murdoch

senior

fishery biology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Straight or not, it’s still love

There are people who have been hated and despised for their entire lives, and they will die never knowing true freedom. These people are gay, lesbian, bisexual and/or transgendered.

They are the only minorities in America who can be legally discriminated against, whether that be denying them the 1,138 rights granted through marriage, or by allowing employers to fire them at will just for being gay or lesbian. I met a couple recently that had been in a loving and caring relationship for 39 years.

They were gay men. They may never know a world where they are truly free.

Truly free to publicly express their love. Truly free to pronounce their love in the workplace. Truly free to embrace their identity in the public sphere of American society. How can people hate and discriminate so much?

How does the government allow and embrace that discrimination? How do they find the nerve to tell other people how to live their lives? It does not make sense. Our political system states that all men are created equal. If we can realize that this is racially true, then we must also realize that this is sexually true as well. If you do not hate the queer community, then do not discriminate against them. Write to your congressperson and tell her/him to reverse Amendment 43 and urge her/him to pass legislation that ends discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Love is love is love.

Andrew Stewart

junior

psychology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Democracy is amazing

I don’t know why I take such a fascination in Mr. Nicewicz’s columns, but I sincerely do. And, it’s nice to see him give at least a cursory acknowledgement of the beauties that our democratic system exhibits in this country (even if he disagrees with the results). However, I still have this deep-down feeling that he doesn’t appreciate it fully.

Admittedly, we both feel a bit of despair over the election results. As a conservative Republican, I watched in horror at the results from Tuesday night. However, I respect them for what they are – the will of my fellow Americans as expressed in their votes. I may not like it, but that’s how decisions are made.

Moreover, that is the most wonderful part of our democracy. I don’t like the results of Nov. 7, but I can change them (and in 2008, I plan to). However, my counterparts on the left can as well. I don’t complain about results out of respect for the opinion of the majority, even if my “rights” as a minority are trampled as a result.

I say that with a smirk, though, because my rights have not been trampled at all. Our democratic system doesn’t protect an absolute right of the minority to be free from the decision-making of the majority; our democratic system protects the minority’s rights to garner a majority for themselves in the future. In other words, the rights of the minority that are protected are to express their opinion and seek opportunities for change, not to be free from what the majority deems reasonable and correct as governing rules and laws.

Essentially, that means the right of Mr. Nicewicz as a “minority” in this situation are the same as mine – to rail against what he thinks is a bad decision and fight to change it. However, don’t feel pity or remorse over a decision to which you do not agree. While that may be your right, I don’t feel it’s a productive use.

After all, since my party is technically the minority now, Mr. Nicewicz, I won’t be sitting around wishing Nancy Pelosi would just respect my views and protect my “right” to be free of her decisions. I’ll be out making sure she doesn’t have that office in two years.

Robert Lee

2004 CSU alumnus

political science