Authors: Nick Hubel

The Ram women’s cross country team finished fourth overall at the NCAA Mountain Regional on Saturday, scoring a total of 96 points.

The finish was just good enough to earn the women an at-large bid to the NCAA Championships. They will be one of 31 teams to compete in the event and are currently ranked 26th in the nation.

Head Coach Bryan Berryhill said he was pleased with the finish for the women and he feels they deserved their bid to the NCAA Championships.

“We knew it would be really close,” Berryhill said. “But overall the effort was definitely there. We ran about as well as we could.”

The Rams were led by junior April Thomas, who finished 12th overall with a time of 21:16.1 for the 6,000-meter course. Senior Nichole Feest followed closely in 15th and sophomore Kirsten Anthony in 16th.

The men finished tied for eighth with Air Force in their event. The result effectively ends their season.

Rob Watson, who finished in 19th place, led the men. Watson missed the individual bid for the NCAA Championships by one place.

Berryhill said the men made a strong showing at the event, even if it wasn’t enough to earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.

“We ran better, we went out and got after it,” Berryhill said. “So I feel pretty good about that.”

The NCAA Championships for the women will be held Nov. 20 in Terre Haute, Ind.

Sports staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.