Authors: Jeff Dillon

A volleyball match can’t go any further than the Rams took their matches this weekend.

Unfortunately for the Rams, neither can their hopes of a regular season conference title.

CSU won at San Diego State on Friday but lost Sunday at Nevada – Las Vegas, a loss that officially eliminates them from a shot at the championship.

The Rams (17-7, 11-3) needed wins in both matches to have a shot to tie Utah, who is 14-0 in Mountain West play.

Sunday’s match against the UNLV Rebels was extremely competitive, as the Rebels made a statement by winning game one 30-24. CSU responded with 22 kills in a 30-22 win in the second game and 21 kills in a 30-25 game three win.

Game four was a battle, with neither team leading by more than three throughout. The Rams kept it close late but UNLV pulled it out 30-28 on a kill from junior Maria Aladjova.

The teams were tied at 10 in game five, but UNLV picked up five of the next eight points for a 15-13 win.

Junior Tonya Mokelki tied her career high with 21 kills, and sophomore Jaime Struass had 19 against the Rebels.

UNLV, led by junior Lauren Miramontes with 18 kills, improved to 18-9 overall and 9-6 in Mountain West play.

The road trip started off with stiff competition Friday night at San Diego State, where the Rams and Aztecs also went to five games.

CSU got an early edge on the Aztecs, winning game one 30-21, edging the home team 18 to 11 in kills. Game two was much tighter, as the Aztecs climbed back from a 28-27 deficit to win four of the next five points for a 31-29 win.

Game three saw a Rams advantage once again, as CSU won it 30-20 behind 20 kills from senior Katherine Whitney. But SDSU again responded, winning the fourth game 30-26 thanks to a .382 hitting percentage.

Play was tight most of the way through the deciding fifth game, but the Aztecs committed six errors, including on match point, as CSU pulled out the 15-13 win.

San Diego State (10-16, 4-10) was led by senior Melanie Greene 22 kills. Whitney had a season-high 18 kills and sophomore Mekana Barnes added 17 for the Rams.

Despite losing a shot at a Mountain West regular season title, the Rams still can play for the number two seed in the conference tournament, as well as for a spot in the NCAA tournament.

BYU comes into Moby arena this Friday and Utah on Saturday. Both matches are at 7 p.m.