To the Editor:

Pot use hinders freedom

On Wednesday the Collegian ran an editorial describing how Colorado voters had rejected freedom by voting down legislation to legalize marijuana possession and create same-sex domestic partnerships.

Such legislation, they implied, would have increased the individual freedom of American citizens to engage in activities that make them happy. Essentially, this freedom would allow us to get high in the privacy of our own homes and pursue companionship in whatever form we choose. In both cases, I respond: that’s not freedom.

When a person is high from smoking marijuana, there is only one thing that he can do, and that is get higher. To me, that signifies a loss of freedom; the person loses the ability to do any other edifying activity.

If one chooses to engage in a homosexual relationship, the further freedoms of having your own children and participating in the blessings of marriage are forfeited.

By voting against these measures, the people of Colorado have actually increased the individual freedom of its citizens. And in the very act of casting a ballot, we have taken part in a process that celebrates the freedom to participate in forming the kind of state and nation we want.

To upbraid Coloradans for voting according to the dictates of their consciences while bemoaning the loss of “freedom” signified by these proposed laws is the height of hypocrisy.

So to those dissatisfied by the results of Tuesday’s election, I proclaim with my constituents: We did it for your own good.

Jacob Miller

junior

microbiology

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Humans not completely at fault for global warming

In the (opinion column) “Global Warming: Fact or Fiction,” I found it hard to agree with the author’s argument.

Instead of using hard scientific fact, she used her experience playing in a soccer tournament last year in the mountains. In her experience, last year they had to cancel the tournament because of a blizzard (quite common in Colorado, especially in the mountains).

She then compared it to her experience this year, which occurred at the same time period last year, in which the weather was sunny and nice (also a common event in the state of Colorado).

I have lived in Colorado my whole life so I am aware of the fact that we can have days in the 60s or 70s during winter.

I am a believer in global warming and I believe that humans do have a part in it. Whether it is big or small, I don’t know, but we should realize that we can help combat global warming. I do believe that as humans we will be able to continue excelling and will be able to limit our effect on the environment.

Although I agree with the author on global warming, I don’t think humans changed the temperature 30 degrees in the span of one year.

Ben Monson

junior

construction management

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Not ‘illegal,’ not ‘undocumented worker,’ but ‘illegal immigrant’

I must admit that I was a bit surprised by the criticism of Marilyn Musgrave’s use of the term “illegal” by the Collegian’s editorial board in their editorial Thursday.

Not surprised by their chastising of Rep. Musgrave, that was to be expected, but rather that the board in fact was right when they stated that the correct term is “illegal immigrant.”

Yes, people who enter this country without going through the proper procedure are indeed here illegally. Thanks for getting it right, and not using some other politically correct term, such as undocumented worker.

Jonathan Zeif

CSU Graduate