Rams lose to Utes, 35-22

Utah quarterback Brett Ratliff passed for 296 yards and two touchdowns as the Utes (6-4, 4-2) handed the Rams (4-6, 1-5) their fifth consecutive loss Saturday, 35-22.

The loss all but eliminates CSU from any chance at making a bowl game this year.

“To be honest, it was more offensive game than I expected. They (Utah) were the best football team today,” said Head Coach Sonny Lubick.

CSU pulled within a point of Utah late in the second quarter with a 2-yard touchdown run from sophmore Gartrell Johnson III to make the score 14-13.

The Utes would answer on its next possession with a nine-yard touchdown pass from Ratliff to Derrek Johnson with less than a minute left in the first half to take a 21-13 lead heading into halftime.

Utah added a pair of touchdown runs in the second half to increase their lead to 35-16.

Billy Farris quarterbacked the Rams for their last possession of the game, connecting with H-back Korry Sperry on a 7-yard touchdown pass with 41 seconds left on the game clock.

“This is a good win for us,” said Utah Head Coach Kyle Whittingham. “It keeps us alive in the conference race. It also get us the minimum to qualify for a bowl game.”

CSU has a bye next week for the time since mid-September. On Nov. 25, the Rams return to the field to take on the TCU Horned Frogs.