It’s hip-hop time

Authors: Anica Wong

There will be singing. There will be chanting. There will be synchronized movements.

Hip-Hop Explosion is back.

For the 12th year in a row, the CSU Black Student Alliance is hosting the step show that features Greek sororities and fraternities competing for a grand prize of $1,200.

The event will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Lincoln Center, 417 W. Magnolia St. in Fort Collins.

“Our goal is to try to make (the show) better than last year and expose the community to an art form that is not seen as much here,” said Dallawrence Dean, the president of BSA.

This event boasts the title of biggest step show in Colorado, Dean said.

Two fraternities and four sororities will be competing this year, with some groups coming from as far away as Oklahoma. The winning fraternity and sorority, judged by a panel of five people from various organizations, will each receive $1,200.

“It’s a good time. People get into it, into representing their organizations,” said Reyna Anaya, a senior human development and family studies major.

The money that is raised from the show funds the BSA organization. Their most important event is a trip to the annual Big XII Black Student Leadership conference, the only student-run conference in the nation, according to Dean.

Quill Phillips, BSA’s secretary, believes that the Hip-Hop Explosion is a good opportunity for students to be around people they may not normally hang out with.

“I like seeing a lot of minorities in one spot.”

Staff writer Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com.

______________________________________

Hip-Hop Explosion

When: 7 p.m. Saturday

Where: The Lincoln Center, 417 W. Magnolia St.

How much: Tickets are $10, on sale at the Flea Market in the Lory Student Center today, or at the door Saturday

Pre-party: 8 p.m. today, LSC Room 228

After-party: After the show, at Osiris Nightclub, 2649 E. Mulberry St. Tickets for the after-party are $10 or $5 with a ticket stub from the show.