Authors: Anne Farrell

The traditional running of the bulls has moved from Spain to Newark, New Jersey. An unidentified bull was captured last Friday for running the streets without proper licensing; or maybe it was for breaking local leash laws.

The animal was chased through the streets of Newark for 10 hours before officers were able capture and tranquilize the rebellious beast. This is the second time in two years that New Jersey has take part in its very own el encierro and while it is unknown where the bull came from it is assumed that he escaped from a truck on its way to a slaughterhouse.

Personally I think that’s a pretty smart bull and I’m glad he earned his way to freedom rather then our local grocer’s freezer. Instead of steer judging competitions, we should just drive trucks full of cattle through large cities and see which ones escape, then in true Spanish style we should allow those bulls to run through barricaded streets chasing those with the greatest death wish.

All those who remain on the trucks should be converted into McDonalds, and the daring few that chased goading participants should be put out to pasture.

The bull from last Friday’s chase was sent to Popcorn Park Zoo, a refuge for unwanted or abused animals in New Jersey.

Any animal that knows it is on its way to death and is willing to do something about it deserves its right to live, even if it scares the children walking to school that morning.

Popcorn Park is actually home to several extremely intelligent animals now that the marathon running bull has joined their collection.

Princess, a camel, predicts the winners of football games and has currently been correct on six out of eight picks, which is pretty impressive for an animal that doesn’t read or watch TV and comes from a country that doesn’t play American football. Not that there are any camels that do read and watch TV, otherwise that’s pretty extraordinary within itself.

Maybe that’s why Princess lives in the park. She just couldn’t stand the soccer boasting of her herd so she hitched a ride to the US of A to find herself homeless on the Streets of New Jersey.

A non-profit organization, Popcorn Park Zoo is home to over 200 animals that were abandoned, sick or elderly, many of which are exotic. How exactly do people find themselves with a camel, a tiger, or wallabies as a pet?

There’s always that one little girl who didn’t want the pony for Christmas but instead demanded a monkey, but who actually gives into a request like that and how?

When using Google to examine this phenomenon it seems there are a number of Web sites that offer anything from deer to baby tigers, all for sale in the states.

Sure they look cuddly and cute when they are babies but do you really want to be forking out hundred of dollars a month to pay for slabs of meat to feed your Bengal? Actually let’s go get that fugitive bull and teach him a lesson for his Houdini-ism.

Maybe I don’t understand the desire to keep a truly wild animal as a pet because I don’t believe there’s any way you can domesticate a raccoon, unless he’s trapped in your Dumpster.

Popcorn Park doesn’t explain how Princess the Camel found her home at the zoo on their Web site, but I can only imagine I had something to do with some well meaning person seeking a new and different type of pet, granted they are sort of like horses.

With the holiday season up coming thousands of animals are being purchased on impulse to be given as gifts. After Christmas, a puppy is going to grow up and someone is going to have to take care of it.

Too many animals find themselves in shelters after Christmas, even if they aren’t wild and difficult to take care of.

If you really want a pet, do the research to make sure you can take care of it, making sure that it also won’t find itself wandering the streets waiting to be taken to the humane society.

Anne Farrell is a junior technical journalism major. His column appears every Thursday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.