Radford out, Pottorff in

Authors: Sean Star

Freshman linebacker Jake Pottorff admits he was nervous during last weekend’s game against Brigham Young while filling in for injured senior starter Jon Radford.

Radford is the latest Ram to bite the injury bug this season and will miss the remainder of the season with an injury to his left knee.

Pottorff, a native of Greely, will make his first collegiate start this Saturday against Utah in place of the sidelined Radford.

“Jake’s going to do a good job,” said defensive coordinator Steve Standard about his new starting linebacker. “He’s a good player.”

Pottorff feels the butterflies will not be as apparent this Saturday as they were against BYU.

“I’m not going to lie, it was the first time I’ve had any meaningful reps at linebacker,” said Pottorff. “Getting any kind of experience is going to help.”

Coach Standard said that while losing a player to injury is nothing new to the team this season, the loss of a senior makes it that much worse.

CSU has missed a total of 53 combined games by 16 players to date this season.

Play of the day: Junior wide receiver Luke Roberts made catches on consecutive plays, both for first downs, against the first-defense near the conclusion of Wednesday’s practice.

Quote of the day: “I don’t want to sound desperate, but we’re in a big need of (a win) because we’ve lost four in a row.” -Junior wide receiver Damon Morton on the significance of winning this Saturday’s game at Utah.

Injury Report: Sophomore defensive back Mike Pagnotta (knee) participated in contact drills during Wednesday’s practice is expected to play for the first time since the Air Force game this weekend.

Football beat writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.