End the discrimination

As a gay man, I am upset Amendment 43 passed in Colorado. But as a Christian, I am even more upset my religion was usurped to justify it.

It was not too long ago that God’s will was cited in statutes as a reason to justify banning interracial marriage, which had been illegal in 49 states with only Vermont never passing such a law.

In 1948, when the California Supreme Court became the first to rule their anti-miscegenation statues unconstitutional, the religious communities across America were outraged that “activist” judges would violate traditional marriage, which was between one man and one woman of the same race.

It was not until 1967, a mere 39 years ago, that the U.S. Supreme Court struck down all anti-miscegenation laws. Even so, some states refused to comply. Alabama did not remove its statute until 2000, and even then with only 60 percent of its citizens supporting the removal.

There was also an amendment proposed in 1912 to the U.S. Constitution to forbid interracial marriages. Luckily, it failed. It all sounds strikingly familiar to me.

The same religious and traditionalist arguments are being used against same-sex marriages. And “activist” judges, not the majority vote of the citizens, are making the first strides towards marriage equality.

I think we, as Americans, need to examine our past history and learn from our mistakes. And those of us who consider ourselves Christians should not allow our religion to be wrongly used to justify discrimination against any group of people.

Robert Steele

senior

accounting