Hundreds of CSU students flocked to campus and the surrounding areas to vote, though for much of the night in the Lory Student Center, the televisions flashed sports and comedy channels.

Though not all of the numbers were in after midnight today, one thing seems apparent: Across the country, it’s a good day to be a Democrat – the party swept the House of Representatives and took control of many key Senate seats.

In some races, it seemed too close to call until the very end.

In others, it was clear-cut from the beginning.

The race for the 4th Congressional District seemed the tightest. Incumbent Republican Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave and Democratic challenger Angie Paccione remained neck-and-neck, within a percent of one another for most of the evening.

Finally, Musgrave pulled ahead substantially in today’s early morning hours. But even then, Paccione said that the fight was not over. Votes from Larimer County, her home, were not all in yet.

And then there’s Amendment 44 – the pot measure.

Ever since the Denver Post’s pre-election poll last week, Amendment 44, the marijuana initiative, seemed doomed. And since a mere 5 percent of the districts were reporting, it was clear that poll was indeed writing on the wall.

Homosexual couples took a large hit – Amendment 43, which would define marriage as strictly between a man and a woman, seemed bound for success while Referendum I, which would have given gay domestic partners basic legal rights, appeared destined for failure.