Authors: Vimal Patel The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Crystal Korrey’s only slept nine hours since Friday morning.

The senior political science major was up all day Friday working on making President Bush’s visit in Greeley as smooth as possible.

And on Monday evening, she gripped and waved “Mark Hillman for State Treasurer” and “Bob Beauprez for Governor” signs on the corner of College Avenue and Mulberry Street.

And the marathon continues.

“I won’t go to bed tonight,” said Korrey, executive director of the CSU College Republicans.

Korrey joined about 100 other students and activists from all political stripes on that street corner in the final push, hoping to sway the state’s undecided voters.

Candidates and issue proponents statewide aren’t resting in the final hours before polls close today at 7 p.m.

James Thompson, a spokesman for Angie Paccione, said the campaign has made about 90,000 phone calls and knocked on 51,000 doors in just the last few days.

And the campaign’s more than 1,500 volunteers won’t stop today, Thompson said.

“The people of the 4th district are really ready for change,” he said.

Mason Tvert, campaign director for the pro-legalization SAFER, is going to be all over Denver tomorrow, making the same central claim he’s always made: Alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana, and therefore it’s illogical and fundamentally unfair to keep it illegal.

“Win or lose, our campaign has become one of the most successful in history,” he said.

Meanwhile, back at the street corner, Mike Bartolementi greeted traffic with a pro-Paccione sign.

“Marilyn Musgrave is all about one issue: Gay marriage,” the Wellington resident said.

Tara Crumb, an economics and political science major, disagreed from across the street, shifting a red “Musgrave for Congress” sign in her hands.

“She has been a warrior in Congress,” she said. “What I like most is you can believe everything she’s going to say. There aren’t going to be any surprises with her.”

Meanwhile, Korrey’s quest to win over as many as she could to the Republican Party continued.

And despite her hectic schedule, her classes haven’t suffered. After all, it’s not as bad as two years ago, when she was a resident assistant, full-time student and headed the Students for Bush campaign.

Before helping campaign today, she had a history test. Remembering that, she had second thoughts about how well she’s doing in school.

“We’ll find out how well my classes are going when I get my midterm back,” she said.

News managing editor Vimal Patel can be reached at news@collegian.com.