To the Editor:

Mr. Speaker: A few comments on your column which appeared in the Collegian on Tuesday: First, there is nothing patriotic about buying a Kia, and it won’t spur American innovation. GM and Ford are investing in a hydrogen future, and currently offer vehicles with fuel-saving technologies such as hybrids and “Displacement on

Demand.” They also offer flex-fuel vehicles that can run on ethanol. Kia is not investing in these technologies, at least not with the seriousness that GM and Ford are. So buy a Ford Focus instead: It meets PZEV standards, gets great fuel economy, is more reliable than a Kia, and is built in Wayne, Michigan by UAW workers. Even if the Kia is built in the U.S., it sure isn’t union-made, and Kia does far less investing in our country than GM or Ford.

Second, don’t waste your vote on a third-party candidate. That’s what Republicans want, and often how they win! Why do you think it’s usually conservative Republicans that donate to Green Party candidates? They split up the vote!

Christopher Poirier, Jr.

junior

political science

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

Unfortunately, the phrase “unbiased media” has become an oxymoron in recent years. People have realized the inherent political power to be wielded with the media, and political biases have become deeply entrenched. The Collegian’s signature color is blue, as is evident by their commonly liberal approach to issues.

Nick Hemenway may be the one columnist right of center on the Collegian’s board, but doesn’t that just add a little balance? I’d rather read a blue Collegian with a slight shade of purple than a deep royal. If you have to skip over Nick’s articles, so be it. And if you want depth in your articles, look to Hilary Davis.

Eric Versluys

senior

mechanical engineering

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

In response to Matt Ruiz’s letter to the editor in Tuesday’s Collegian, you’re absolutely right, Mr. Ruiz! We shouldn’t be subjected to a completely one-sided presentation of American politics gathered directly from a designated party.

I guarantee you that I will remember your comments the next time I pick up the Collegian and fall into a sea of blue poured directly out of the Democratic Party leadership. The Collegian is completely unbiased in all meanings of the word. Or is it?

John Kerry made a rash statement about the intelligence of military volunteers this week. “You know, education, if you make the most of it and you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you — you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

I would love to hear from some of the members on this campus who are Army or Air Force ROTC. Are you offended by this comment? Does it warm your heart to know that the Democratic Party is trying to play this off as a joke? I wonder why the Collegian failed to even mention this in the paper… oh wait, he’s not a Republican. If that isn’t bias, I don’t know what is.

Geoff Lawhorn

senior

mechanical engineering

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In the race for House District 52, opponents of John Kefalas have resorted to distortions and outright lies in order to take attention away from the issues that truly matter to our community. Instead of talking about healthcare, jobs and the environment, they are focused on name-calling and attacking John’s character. John Kefalas, however, has refused to resort to these means.

Many politicians speak of the importance of principles and values, but John Kefalas is one of the few who actually acts on the basis of those principles and values. John believes that money plays too great a role in our political system. In light of this belief, he has accepted voluntary campaign spending limits. John also believes that negative campaigning is a barrier to sincere political discussion. In light of this belief, he has committed to run a civil campaign.

John is focused on issues that matter to students: Providing affordable healthcare, raising the minimum wage, protecting the environment and keeping tuition down while maintaining our high standards. If this campaign season has left you tired of politics as usual and ready for change, I encourage you to support John Kefalas.

John Hultgren

master’s candidate

political science