Authors: Andy Nicewicz

Aren’t exactly a Democrat or Republican? Think the government should stay out of people’s lives in economic and social issues? Sick of choosing between the lesser of two evils for political office? Then the Libertarian Party may be for you!

The Libertarian Party is a political third party that falls somewhere in between Republican and Democrat ideologies. Its policy on social issues is liberal, while its economic stance is conservative.

Basically, the Libertarian platform is as follows: “We hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose.” (Taken from the Libertarian home page, www.lp.org.)

This can basically be summed up as: Do whatever you want, but don’t harm anyone else.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think the government has absolutely no business deciding how I should run my life, and the same goes for how other people choose to run their lives.

What it comes down to, I suppose, is that I and other Libertarians think people are intelligent enough to live their own lives without the government telling us what to do.

For example, the government currently tells us what to do with our money. Programs like Social Security assume that we aren’t smart enough to save and spend our money and that the government should hold onto the money for us.

Ironically, the government has proven it is, in fact, the inept one when it comes to finances, as we are running a massive budget deficit and Social Security is on the fringe of bankruptcy. Libertarians are opposed to Social Security and welfare programs and would cut taxes allowing us to spend our money as we see fit.

The government also interferes by telling us what to do with our bodies. Laws like marijuana prohibition prove politicians believe they know better than we do about what we should put in our own bodies. Moreover, the war on drugs is costing taxpayers exorbitant sums of money, with few observable results. Libertarians would end the war on drugs and allow us to do what we want with our own bodies.

If you find yourself agreeing with any of these issues, you just may be a Libertarian, or if you are simply intrigued by any of these ideas that I have briefly covered, more information can be obtained by contacting the Libertarian Party at CSU at www.LPCSU.org.

There are many Libertarians running for various positions this election, and I strongly urge you to consider voting for the party of smaller government, fewer taxes and more freedom.

Andy Nicewicz is a senior political science major. His column appears every Monday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.