CSU hosts flu education

Authors: Marissa HuttonGavel

Pandemic flu education is coming to CSU.

Starting today, students and staff will be able to learn more about flu season, ask questions about possible outbreaks and receive tips on how to prevent it during Flu Awareness Week.

The main event of the week, which is sponsored by the university and Associated Students of CSU, will be a Q-and-A session with the members of the pandemic planning committee on Wednesday.

Health officials said an influenza pandemic is not imminent and that experts can’t predict when the next pandemic will occur or how severe it will be. But, they warn, there could be cause for concern.

“Some scientists believe that the current avian influenza could mutate to spread easily from person to person, causing an influenza pandemic that may be serious,” Jane Higgins, a physician at Hartshorn Health Service and co-chair of the university’s pandemic planning committee, said in a statement.

A pandemic influenza is different from seasonal influenza that occurs each year between December and March.

Seasonal flu causes illnesses in 5 to 10 percent of the population, while a pandemic influenza can occur at any time of year and resurges in waves, causing as many as 25 to 30 percent of the population to fall ill. It has the highest impact on school-aged children, young adults and working adults.

Household checklists and health tips will be distributed throughout campus and information about influenza will be posted on the university safety Web site, www.safety.colostate.edu, throughout the week as well.

Campus Editor Marissa Hutton-Gavel can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Look for more information about the pandemic Q-and-A in Thursday’s Collegian.