Authors: Brett Okamoto

CSU head basketball coach Dale Layer announced Thursday that Tyler Smith, a transfer guard from Northeastern Junior College, will be suspended from the team’s upcoming exhibition games due to an off-court incident last summer.

“This was a very unfortunate incident that brought negative attention to the basketball program,” Smith said. “I want to move forward and be the best student that I can be and contribute to the basketball program.”

The incident being referred to made national headlines when Smith, a friend and roommate of the Denver Nuggets’ Carmelo Anthony, was pulled over in a 2005 Dodge Magnum that was licensed under Anthony’s company, Melo Enterprises.

Smith was charged with possession of marijuana and three traffic violations. The stop came around the same time that Anthony was working on a contract extension worth $80 million.

Smith will miss an Oct. 31 game against Regis and another against Concordia (Montreal) on Nov. 3.

In other basketball news, CSU was picked to finish seventh in the Mountain West Conference by conference media. Last season’s conference champion San Diego State was ranked first by a wide margin.

Forward Jason Smith was one of five players named to the Preseason All-Mountain West Conference team. Smith averaged 16.2 points per game, 7.1 rebounds and 2.13 blocks last year. Jacob Burtschi (Air Force), Trent Plaisted (Brigham Young), Mohamed Abukar (San Diego State) and Brandon Heath (San Diego State) were also selected.

Sports staff writer Brett Okamoto can be reached at sports@collegian.com.