Max out Moby

Authors: MEGAN TRUSTY The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The CSU women’s volleyball team will attempt to break Moby Arena’s attendance record tonight against rivals the Wyoming Cowgirls.

Coming out of the loss to Wyoming in football over the weekend, the event is geared toward boosting school spirit and will give students a chance to show their support for CSU athletics.

The first 300 people who show up at Moby wearing green will get free food coupons to the concession stand. Contests, prize giveaways, free T-shirts and Pizza Hut coupons are just a few ways CSU athletics is encouraging people to come.

“It’s going to be an event filled night,” said Megan Mosness, director of promotions at CSU.

The standing attendance record of 6,240 was set in 1988 in a game against BYU.

“It’s going to take a lot of people coming out,” said Tom Hilbert, women’s volleyball head coach. “But this is a great weekend to do it.”

The unveiling of the new student section, recently named “The Green Machine” by student votes, will also be part of the festivities. This year is the first time in Moby’s history that there will be a united student section, rather than separate sections scattered throughout the arena.

“We hope it’ll continue to drive school spirit at Moby,” said Lindsay Sell, student alumni advisor for the Student Alumni Connection (SAC) of the new student section. SAC sponsored the naming of the student section earlier this fall. “We’re all hopeful we can break the record. I don’t see why we can’t.”

Attendance for women’s volleyball games at Moby this year are averaging about 1,450 people, said Heather Kennedy, assistant director of media relations. Moby Arena can hold 8,745 people.

Hilbert said this particular game was chosen to attempt the record break mainly because of the rivalry between CSU and Wyoming. He added it will be a good chance for students to come out and get revenge after the weekend loss in football.

“Taking part in athletic events is a big part of the culture of our school,” Hilbert said. “It helps everyone feel like we’re all part of the same family.”

Staff writer Megan Trusty can be reached at news@collegian.com.