Authors: CRAIG SCHOLZ The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The men’s golf team wrapped up the last tournament of the fall season with a third place finish at the Barona Collegiate Cup Tuesday and had three members place in the top 20.

Zen Brown led the Rams with rounds of 68, 68 and 69 to cap off a solid fall season with a third-place finish overall. Also accompanying Brown was Dustin Morris and Aaron Weston, who finished tied for 14th and 20th respectively.

The Rams finished five strokes behind first-place UAB with a team total of 845 for the tournament, which marks a season low.

“I thought the team played well, but I was disappointed we didn’t win,” said Head Coach Jaime Bermel.

Bermel had told the team before the tournament that he wanted to finish the season the way the team had started it. The Rams responded on the first round Monday by shooting a team total 277, which tied for the team low score for the day.

Brown, who ended the tournament two strokes behind winners Zach Sucher of UAB and Taylor Coffman of Nevada, marked the fourth time he placed in the top 10 during the fall season with his third place finish.

With strong performances from Morris and Weston, the men’s team was able to rebound after a second round that saw the team shoot a 288 total, by shooting for a team total 280 in the final round.

During the break between the fall and spring seasons, the men’s team will take a few weeks off, but will return to action Feb. 12-13, where they will travel to Utah to play in the Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational.

Sports staff writer Craig Scholz can be reached at sports@collegian.com.