Authors: Sean Star

Want to know why sophomore running back Michael Myers is not getting more carries at the running back position for the CSU Rams?

“It’s the same old thing for me,” said Myers. “Pass blocking.”

Myers has seen little action this season, despite the level of his production compared to sophomore starter Gartrell Johnson III.

Myers has rushed for nearly three yards per carry (5.6) more than Johnson (2.8).

Running backs coach Mick Delaney said that it is difficult getting Myers, along with senior Nnamdi Ohaeri, more carries without more offensive plays.

Myers feels he deserves to get more carries before the outcome of the game is already decided.

“I need to get in the game earlier than in the last four minutes of the fourth quarter,” said Myers.

“I feel like I’ve done an adequate job so far with the chance I’ve had.”

Delaney said that no drastic changes will be made to the running game for this weekend’s game at Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium other than hard work.

Quote of the day: “We’ve been banging our heads against the wall trying to figure this thing out,” – Coach Delaney on the struggling Rams’ running game.

Injury Report: Junior cornerback Joey Rucks (right ankle) practiced with the first-team defense on Tuesday and is expected to start Saturday against New Mexico. Junior center Nick Alotta (left foot) did not practice and is doubtful for this weekend.

Play of the Day: Junior cornerback Daryl Williams snatched a junior quarterback Caleb Hanie pass for interception after it was tipped by a receiver.

Football beat writer Sean Star can be reached sports@collegian.com.