To the Edior:

Science and God can coexist

Regarding Ryan Speaker’s column on being an atheist, he concludes by stating, in a nut shell, that it’s high time for religious people to stop being dishonest by not having any evidence. Hmmm. OK, I will set my Bible aside for the moment and examine the natural world, a career path I have been in for the past 15 years (life sciences).

Since when do atheists hold a monopoly on science and other intellectual endeavors? Many (that is, most) of our greatest minds were also deeply religious, in one form or another, many at their own peril. More and more researchers, particularly in the life

sciences, evolutionary biology, physics, and cosmology are seeing underlying order and fantastic probabilities that have them considering that there must be some form of intelligent design in the universe. It seems evident (a word based off “evidence”) to me that the universe is, in fact, intelligently designed and evolutionary processes are a simply a part of that design as well.

Picking up my Bible again, I see this is part of God’s plan to create for us a universe that allows for free will, because He loves us so much that we can either embrace him or reject him, without divine coercion. Sure the Bible is replete with divine intervention, but the underlying theme of choice has always been there. I understand Mr. Speaker’s frustration at the politicized religious establishment(s), believe me, I am just as frustrated, and hope he understands not all “believers” are like that.

He is asking questions and forming opinions, and that is always a good thing, particularly in these times. However, I feel it takes more faith to be an atheist, especially when examining the evidence. For example, the probability of a single cell evolving (that is assembling from an amino acid and lipid soup under “ideal” conditions) is thought to be roughly on the order of one in several novemnonagintillion (1 followed by 300 zeros), and for that to occur in the timeframe of the mere 13.65 billion years of our

universe we live in requires a whole lot of faith. I feel science and God can happily coexist without the slightest impediment to intellectual progress or thought. Do they always? No, but they can. Just ask Einstein, Newton, Edison, etc.

Michael S. Scherman

Research associate,

Dept of Microbiology, Immunology,& Pathology