Authors: CRAIG SCHOLZ The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Heading into the last tournament of the fall season, the men’s golf team is looking to add another top-five finish to its impressive start this year.

If the Rams finish in the top 10 at the Barona Collegiate Cup in San Diego, they will match the total top-10 finishes the team had last year with five.

So far the men’s team has placed in the top five of every tournament they’ve played in during the fall season. The only exception has been at the Tucker Intercollegiate where they finished 10th.

The team’s success has been a result of outstanding play from Zen Brown, who has emerged as the top performer with three finishes in the top 10 and two in the top five.

Brown is currently sixth in the Mountain West Conference in stroke average and leads the team with 70.5.

The Rams are also hoping to get good production out of Aaron Weston, Derrick Whiting and Dustin Morris. All three are capable of having big days and finishing high, but they do seem to have trouble playing consistently.

At the Wolf Pack Classic, Whiting tied for sixth to help the team finish third, but the next week he finished tied for 57th. For the Rams to place in the top five, they need good play throughout the tournament from Weston, Whiting and Morris.

The Barona Collegiate Cup is a 54-hole tournament with the first two rounds played on Monday and the final round on Tuesday. Of the 17 teams CSU will play against, three are MWC rivals: San Diego State, Utah and Wyoming.

Staff writer Craig Scholz can be reached at sports@collegian.com.