Stop it, don’t drop it

Authors: Hilary Davis The Rocky Mountain Collegian

I was sitting in the library, just minding my own business when I heard it. Then, I heard it again. And then, just when I was about to turn around and say something, I heard it again, but this time from a whole different side of the room.

You know what I’m talking about, because I’m sure you’ve heard it too. In fact, you’ve probably even said it once or twice.

The F-Bomb.

And I am a little bit sick of it.

I am not a priss. Nor am I somebody’s grandmother whose virgin ears simply cannot bear to hear the words of the devil spewed willy-nilly around our hallowed halls of higher education. Nor am I judgmental, you can ask anyone about that. You can especially ask my roommates, whom I sometimes let leave the house in ridiculous outfits because I am just that non-judgmental.

But really, really? Do we need to be dropping the F-Bomb all over campus?

I submit that we do not.

I understand that it’s fun. After all, the F-Bomb is one of the most versatile words in the English language. It can be both noun and verb, adjective or adverb (for the extremely verbally talented) or even a gerund – bonus points to you if you know what a gerund is.

And I have heard some very creative uses of the F-Bomb, which only speaks to the impact that our fine CSU educators are having on students. After all, what is the collegiate experience if we’re not learning to think outside the box?

I also understand that there are many public figures who fling Fs all around. Once while on the Senate floor, Dick Cheney told Vermont senator Pat Leahy to go f— himself.

John Kerry, while campaigning for the presidency said “Did I expect George Bush to f— up as badly as he did? I don’t think anybody did.” And even the George himself repeatedly flung Fs in an interview with Tucker Carlson. While such language may be considered manly or strong, it is not exactly presidential.

Can you imagine another George, George Washington, telling Martha to f—ing sweep the kitchen floor (never mind the Senate floor)? I don’t think so.

I can even understand that sometimes it’s necessary. When your 30-page research paper accidentally disappears into the cyber abyss, it sure feels good to fling an F. When your significant other breaks up with you, sometimes you need to tell him/her to F off.

And when you worked really hard on a project and ended up getting an F, giving the professor the big “F you!” is sometimes the best catharsis, as long as they can’t hear you. These are all extreme cases, and sometimes there is no substitute for a well-timed F-Bomb. I’m not sure what it means to drop it like it’s hot, but if you really need to drop that F-Bomb (perhaps because it’s hot?) then be my guest. I won’t judge.

However, I maintain that the situations that require such excessive F-Bombination are few and far between and the next time you feel the need to loudly drop the bomb, remember that not everyone wants to hear you. So please, just drop it quietly, or stop saying it at all.

Hilary Davis is a senior technical journalism major. Her column appears every Friday in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.