Authors: Craig Scholz

The women’s golf team wrapped up the Give ‘Em Five Intercollegiate with a 10th place finish Wednesday in Las Cruces, N.M., with two members placing in the top 20.

Leading the Rams was freshman Kasey Claussen, who had the best performance of her career at CSU, shooting rounds of 79, 72 and 75 to end the tournament tied for 17th, marking her first time in the top 20.

Head Coach Angie Hopkins thought Claussen had a very good tournament, especially for a freshman.

“It is a big accomplishment,” Hopkins said. “She hit 14 greens on the second day and it helped her shoot even par. It’s hard to overcome the difficult pin placement, but she did it.”

Usually the top performer on the team, Chelsea Benton, who carded rounds of 73, 80 and 74, ended the tournament tied for 19th, one stroke behind Claussen.

“Chelsea is struggling a little bit, and it’s hard to overcome,” Hopkins said. “She puts herself in great position to make birdies off the tee, but her putting is holding her back. This happens to everyone and she just needs to be patient.”

Hopkins is optimistic that Benton will overcome her slump at the next tournament at Nevada-Las Vegas, where she placed third last year.

The women’s team will play their final tournament of the fall season Oct. 30 – Nov. 1 at the Las Vegas Founders Collegiate.

Staff writer Craig Scholz can be reached at sports@collegian.com.