Authors: Anne Farrell The Rocky Mountain Collegian

It’s no longer just a rumor. Colorado has the best-looking men in the country – or at least one of them.

As agreed by 32,000 voters from across the country last week, Matt Wood, a 2002 CSU graduate, was announced as Cosmopolitan magazine’s Bachelor of the Year at a private party in New York City.

“He won?” said Jess Dyrdahl, a senior political science major. “That’s awesome. I met him and he was a gentleman, very intriguing.”

Voting ran from Oct. 10 to Oct. 12, where readers logged in to the Cosmopolitan Web site to cast their choice for the top bachelor.

“The people of Fort Collins (are) who put me into the semi-finals,” said Wood. “It’s because of their support.”

This was the first year readers were able to narrow down the choices to six finalists from each region before a panel of Cosmopolitan editors made the final selection.

“Matt is the perfect choice for our first-ever Bachelor of the Year,” Kate White, Cosmopolitan’s editor in chief said in a statement. “He’s charming, smart and gorgeous. He describes himself as a solid guy with a good heart, and that’s what we were looking for.”

As the winning bachelor, Wood will receive a bachelor pad makeover from LG Electronics along with other opportunities to further his career as an actor. Wood, however, is not letting all of publicity go to his head.

“A ton of doors have been opening,” Wood said in an interview Thursday afternoon. “I want to make some close friends and see where that takes me in the industry.”

Wood, who currently works for Hewlett-Packard, told the Collegian that he would like to use this prize to start a community studio for kids to teach music, acting, songwriting and film production.

The November edition of Cosmopolitan will feature Wood alongside 49 other men from across the country.

“I think it’s awesome (that Wood was selected a Bachelor of the Year), I think he very much deserves it,” said Carrie Schreiner, manager of Fantastic Sam’s, who submitted Wood to the contest. “I am very proud of the fact that he’s stayed true to himself as a person and he didn’t fall into the stereotype of the ‘normal’ guy.”

The annual bachelor edition contains interviews from the state-by-state quest to find the “nation’s sexiest single guys” and includes e-mail addresses allowing readers to contact their favorites.

“I think it’s awesome that a CSU alumni won,” said Alex Norris, a senior business marketing and management major. “It brings CSU into the national spotlight.”

Staff writer Anne Farrell can be reached at news@collegian.com.