Injured Rams Prep for Pokes

Authors: Sean Star

The adverse weather conditions that forced the CSU football team to practice indoors were the least of Head Coach Sonny Lubick’s worries Tuesday afternoon.

Instead, an ever-increasing list of injured players and preparing for one of the Rams’ biggest rivals were top priority for Lubick.

“For the students of CSU, we want to beat Wyoming,” said coach Lubick.

Junior defensive end Jesse Nading (right ankle) and sophomore safety Mike Pagnotta (left knee) watched the team practice in street clothes for the second consecutive day.

Pagnotta and junior defensive lineman Eric Sandie (left knee) will likely sit out Saturday’s game at Wyoming.

“We’re going to be OK,” said Lubick about the team’s health. “It definitely tests our depth.”

The two injuries to CSU’s defensive line will likely force it to limit the number of substitutions it usually uses.

“Luckily our defensive line uses a rotation,” said senior linebacker Luke Adkins. “So we have some guys with experience there.”

Junior cornerback Joey Rucks (right ankle) suited up in full pads for Tuesday’s practice, but did not participate in contact drills after missing last week’s game at the Air Force Academy.

Senior cornerback Chase Weber practiced with the first team defense Tuesday in Rucks’ absence after junior Liddon Levine started against Air Force.

The snow may have forced the Rams to practice inside a gym, but according to sophomore running back Gartrell Johnson III, it did not limit their preparations for Saturday’s Border War.

Football beat writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.