Authors: Whitney Faulconer

The women’s cross country team continues to live up to and exceed its 22nd overall national ranking, finishing 11th at the Pre-National meet in Terre Haute, Ind., Saturday.

The team scored 323 total points, 206 behind the first place North Carolina State Wolfpack.

Head Coach Brian Berryhill said he felt like the women competed well, but he sees room for improvement in the coming weeks.

“They ran probably where we should have finished if we had a good day. We had some girls run well and some others who didn’t,” Berryhill said. “I think they are ready to go out and compete against BYU in a smaller meet.”

The Rams were led by senior Nicole Feest, who finished the 6,000 meter race in 20:46, good enough for 22nd overall. Junior April Thomas was second for the Rams and 30th overall, finishing with a time of 20:54.

In its four meets this season, the women have two first-place finishes, one second-place finish and an eleventh-place finish. At the Pre-National meet this weekend they finished in front of 15th-ranked Oklahoma State and 14th-ranked University of Washington.

The men’s team also traveled to Terre Haute this weekend for their Pre-National meet, finishing 29th overall with a team score of 702 points.

Leading the men was senior Ryan Kirkpatrick, who finished the eight kilometer race in 119th with a time of 25:01. Finishing just two spots behind Kirkpatrick in 121st was senior Rob Watson.

The men went into the meet hoping to bounce back from their disappointing 16th overall finish three weeks ago at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis, Minn., but were unable to get anything going, according to Berryhill.

“We are just not competing as well as I would like to be right now,” Berryhill said. “We just need to sit down and talk as a team and see what’s going on. We are showing some pretty good fitness in practice.we just need to figure out how to show it in the meet.”

Both the men and women’s teams will be off next weekend before traveling to the Mountain West Cross Country Championships in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Oct. 28.

Sports staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached sports@collegian.com.