To the Editor:

While I agree that the discrimination that was described in Luci Storelli-Castro’s article, “Why you shouldn’t work for God” is truly unjust, it is wrong to paint every religious organization as discriminatory and wrong.

Not every religious organization discriminates like the Sisters of the Visitation of the Holy Mary did against Mary Rosati. Not every religious organization offers “spoon-fed double standards and hypocrisy” to its parishioners. Storelli-Castro was wrong in making these broad, uninformed statements and if she were to do her research she’d find that most religious organizations do not unjustly discriminate.

According to statistics released by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, of the 2,340 claims of discrimination by a religious organization, only 22.4 percent of those claims were recognized as having “reasonable cause” that discrimination occurred.

I don’t disagree that there are religious establishments that wrongly discriminate; I’m simply pointing out that making generalizations that have no basis and attacking an entire group unfairly is a distortion of what good reporting should look like.

Aaron Pride

junior microbiology major

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

The Collegian’s (editorial) on Oct. 12 is another example of its attempt to become a think tank rather than an unbiased news source. Or perhaps it was merely an attempt to offend as many people as possible.

Who is this “they” the Collegian continues to refer to? All religious people? Or just the ones they disagree with? Instead of offering a valid opinion, the Collegian’s (editors) have simply digressed into an anti-religious – more specifically, anti-Christian – tirade. Yes, the Bible has been misused in many cases, but what does that honestly have to do with their opinion of Referendum I?

In the last paper, they nailed the current (14th Congressional District) candidates for mudslinging, yet this is exactly what they’ve stooped to in this “opinion” – except, instead of blasting just one person, they’ve blasted an entire group of people.

Instead of telling people how to think, advocate our right to vote and express our beliefs. Instead of telling people they’re “wrong” for not voting like you do, appreciate their participation in our democracy and respect their personal convictions and opinions.

Readers, if you think you should vote yes on I, then do so. If you think you should vote no on I, then do so. It doesn’t matter what the Collegian – or anybody else, for that matter – thinks you should do.

The Collegian preaches tolerance. Perhaps it should remain professional and practice this by tolerating everybody, not just those its staff agrees with, even if that means tolerating and respecting the opinions of those they believe are closed-minded and intolerant. And if you don’t like religion, don’t join it.

Josh Phillips

senior

math education major