Authors: AARON SCHOONMAKER The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Coming off a loss last weekend, Ram hockey will take on Texas Tech (2-0) tonight and Kansas (3-1) Saturday.

The high-powered offense, which has tallied 26 goals in four games, will host two games this weekend at Edora Pool and Ice Center.

“This will be a good weekend for us to get back on track,” said head coach Joe Sharrock. “Maybe this is what our team needed; was a slap in the face in the early part of the season.”

Sharrock pointed out the team’s inability to win the individual battles and stressed the team’s need to get back to basics.

“We’re going to get going this week and we are going to focus on Ram hockey,” Sharrock said. “We’re better than what we should and I think the guys know that.”

After starting the season with three straight wins, last weekend was a bit of a hiccup for Ram hockey.

Despite coming off a trip to North Dakota that yielded two wins and no losses the week before and knocking off Weber State 7-2 on Friday night, the Rams (3-1) could not remain unbeaten through the weekend.

“They have, like, two or three guys that could even make our team,” Sharrock said following a 6-5 loss Saturday at the hands of Utah State. “We have all the building blocks and they have three or four, theirs were just stacked higher than ours.”

The Rams will start sophomore Doug Lesch in goal for Friday night’s game. Junior goalie Brian Minor will not suit up for the Rams due to a shoulder injury. Also expect other Rams to get some more ice time this weekend as well.

“If we need to mix some things up that’s what we’ll do,” Sharrock said. “Some guys aren’t playing as well as they could be and may need a bit of a wake up call.”

Texas Tech has also displayed a high-powered offense this season, lighting the lamp 26 times in its two wins over North Texas. CSU is the second of a three-game Colorado road trip for the Red Raiders.

They will play Metro State on Thursday night, at CSU on Friday and then go on to University of Colorado-Boulder on Saturday.

Kansas, also on a Colorado road trip, will be in Boulder on Friday before coming to EPIC on Saturday night. Averaging seven goals per game, the Jayhawks are coming off of a two-game sweep of Nebraska.

This weekend will be a big fan weekend for the team as they will sponsor a military night on Saturday. A ticket discount will be given to all persons showing a military I.D.

Sports writer Aaron Schoonmaker can be reached at sports@collegian.com.