Authors: NICK HUBEL The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Rams men’s and women’s cross country teams are back in action this Saturday at the Pre-National meet in Terre Haute, Ind. It will be the first time since Sept. 9 that both teams will be competing on the same weekend.

The Pre-National meet in Terre Haute is one of the largest in the country and is the site of the NCAA championships on Nov. 20. Forty-five of the top 60 teams in the nation will be competing there this weekend.

The Ram women are currently ranked 22nd in the nation, gaining two spots after finishing second to second-ranked Colorado-Boulder in the Rocky Mountain Shootout two weeks ago.

Head coach Brian Berryhill said that the runners on both the men’s and women’s teams are ready to get out and compete after the long break.

“It’s a huge meet so you’re always a little nervous going into it,” Berryhill said. “They are just going to have to stay focused and tough.”

The Rams will be coming into the meet at full strength, without any significant injuries.

Senior Rob Watson said that the men’s team is looking forward to getting back into a race after their disappointing 16th place finish at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis three weeks ago.

“I think everyone is ready to go just based off our workouts (in practice),” he said.

Watson also said that the team is setting their goals high this time around, as the Pre-National meet is the first big opportunity to move up in the standings and qualify for the National meet.

“If we get top six or seven we’ll be looking pretty good for the rest of the season,” he said. “We’re just excited to get going this weekend.”

Sports staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.