To the Editor

Voters for Peace

More than 500 people in the Fourth Congressional District have signed the Voters for Peace “Voters Pledge” (www.votersforpeace.org). That pledge reads, “I will not vote for or support any candidate for Congress or President who does not make a speedy end to the war in Iraq, and preventing any future war of aggression, a public position in his or her campaign.”

The Republican candidate fully supports George W. Bush’s desire for endless war in Iraq and elsewhere. Sadly, Democrat Angie Paccione has also failed to issue a clear public statement calling for either a speedy end to the war in Iraq or rejecting future wars of aggression.

Bush’s approval rating in the Fourth Congressional District was only 44 percent before the release of the National Intelligence Estimate, which concluded that the Iraq war has increased the terrorist threat. One would think that Paccione could win points by supporting the Voters Pledge. Her political consultants appear to think otherwise, however.

Paccione’s supporters should let her know that her caution on this issue could well be her political undoing. A bold stance supporting an alternative to Bush’s failed military policies is what’s needed to push her campaign over the top on Nov. 7.

Kevin Cross

Fort Collins resident

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

Fort Collins Needs McCluskey

This November Fort Collins has a chance to re-elect a proven leader who has fought for local jobs, CSU, healthcare reform and tough penalties for Internet predators: Bob McCluskey. I know Bob personally and he is a man of integrity and sincerity who truly works for what is best for Colorado. He has twice been named “Legislator of the Year” and deserves another term in Denver. Please exercise your right to vote this November and vote for Bob McCluskey – District 52.

Doug Johnson

Fort Collins resident

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I cry at night, too

First of all, let me extend my sincerest sympathies to you (Geoff Johnson) on the tragic state of your love life.

But don’t let it drive you to tears late at night; it’s much healthier for the soul (though not the body) to eat some cookie dough and watch sitcom reruns, ignoring that uncomfortable heaviness in your stomach that is your loneliness. No, no, you’ve just eaten too much cookie dough.

In an effort to make you feel better, I want you to know that there are those out there, including yours truly, that have never even been asked out on a date.

Don’t get too agitated. The fact that no one’s ever walked up to me and asked, “So. Can I buy you a drink sometime?” does NOT mean that my life is little more a repeat of “Never Been Kissed.” I have been kissed, etc. I have been in relationships before. But never has a pleasant near-stranger asked me out on a date.

I am not an unpleasant person. Those that choose to spend time with me agree that in fact, I can be quite funny, intelligent and pleasing to be around. Neither am I exceedingly dull, neurotic or bearing resemblance to the elephant man, all qualities that I would understand as being a barrier to my appeal.

But never, not once, has someone deigned to cast a favoring eye in my direction, strolled over, and said, “So, can I buy you a drink some time?”

As of Oct. 13, I will be officially single for one year. Your offer would have been music to my ears six months ago. Now it would be a four-hour opera.

But I don’t cry at night. And that feeling in my stomach isn’t loneliness. It’s cookie dough. Yes. Cookie dough.

Nicole Burbank

junior

psychology