Men’s golf finishes third

Authors: CRAIG SCHOLZ The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Like most visitors to Las Vegas, the men’s golf team couldn’t muster up enough luck to win Tuesday at the District 7 Shootout and ended up tied for third place.

After finishing the first two rounds at the Angel Park Golf Course in second place overall and 10 strokes behind the victors, San Diego State, the Rams faded in the final round by shooting 288 as a team and finished the tournament with a team total of 848.

Two members of the men’s team placed in the top 20. Zen Brown tied for 13th while Dustin Morris tied for 18th. After shooting par in the first round, Brown carded two-under par 69’s in the both of the last two rounds to secure his fourth straight top-20 finish.

After two rounds, Morris was leading the Rams in 15th place overall and finished the tournament with a 211 three-round total that matches his season low he set at the Miranda Invitational.

San Diego State held on to first place and won the tournament with a three-round team total of 822.

The individual tournament trophy went to Aaron Goldberg of San Diego State who finished with a 201 three-round total, but after two rounds, it looked as if Troy Merrit of Boise State would take the individual championship.

Merrit finished the first day by shooting an impressive nine-under par second round of 62, but he could not close the deal.

The men’s team has a week off and then will travel to San Diego, Calif., for the Barona Collegiate Cup Oct. 23-24, its last tournament of the fall season.

Staff writer Craig Scholz can be reached at sports@collegian.com.